Cressida Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mx73 wont turn over!

4 posters

Go down

mx73 wont turn over! Empty mx73 wont turn over!

Post by Barneymx73 Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Hey guys I'm in Washington and I have great plans for my Cressida. I'm new to the forum and I just picked up my first car yesterday. It is an 86' mx73 with a 5mge. I bought it from someone who took very good care of it and cleaned it up nicely. The only problem is it wont start. He (the man I bought it from) replaced the head between 5 and 6 and as far as I know he put the car back together perfectly. So heres the deal, the car pumps fuel, it cranks, and there's spark. It wants to start but just wont. I'm having some trouble figuring out whats wrong with it. Also, this is pretty weird, after I turn the key to the "off" position, the check engine light AND the battery light stay on. These two lights stay on until I disconnect the battery or try to start it again. I'm concerned it might be an electrical problem because the dude I bought it from said when he took out the ECU to replace it there were a few hot spots. My dad and I will be checking the timing hopefully this weekend. Let me know what you guys think I really want to get this thing running.

Barneymx73

Back to top Go down

mx73 wont turn over! Empty Re: mx73 wont turn over!

Post by MR2_FTW Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Sounds like wiring and/or timing to me.
MR2_FTW
MR2_FTW

http://www.FreeCandyCarClub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juntao Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:30 am

Barneymx73 wrote:Hey guys I'm in Washington and I have great plans for my Cressida. I'm new to the forum and I just picked up my first car yesterday. It is an 86' mx73 with a 5mge. I bought it from someone who took very good care of it and cleaned it up nicely. The only problem is it wont start. He (the man I bought it from) replaced the head between 5 and 6 and as far as I know he put the car back together perfectly. So heres the deal, the car pumps fuel, it cranks, and there's spark. It wants to start but just wont. I'm having some trouble figuring out whats wrong with it. Also, this is pretty weird, after I turn the key to the "off" position, the check engine light AND the battery light stay on. These two lights stay on until I disconnect the battery or try to start it again. I'm concerned it might be an electrical problem because the dude I bought it from said when he took out the ECU to replace it there were a few hot spots. My dad and I will be checking the timing hopefully this weekend. Let me know what you guys think I really want to get this thing running.

a common mistake is putting one of the cam gears on 180degrees backwards. if you could take some pictures. of the gears etc.
Juntao
Juntao
Admin

https://cressidaforums.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Barneymx73 Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:41 am

We haven't checked the compression ourselves but the man we got it from said it had good compression in all cylinders. I think that would indicate that the cams are on correctly. It's weird though that the check engine light stays on after I turn the key off, and only goes off when you disconnect the battery. In need of a wiring diagram.

Barneymx73

Back to top Go down

Post by jzx7like Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:39 pm

I have diagrams if you need em. I can pm you a photo or something.
Lmk, I have an FSM..
 Smile 
jzx7like
jzx7like

Back to top Go down

Post by jzx7like Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Oh..

Right, this thread is from last July....
jzx7like
jzx7like

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down