Cressida Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

87 Cressida electrical issue

3 posters

Go down

87 Cressida electrical issue Empty 87 Cressida electrical issue

Post by rcs666 Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:13 pm

so I've got an 87 Cressida with the 5mge. completely stock with 111xxx miles. paid $700 for it, how lucky am I right?

so anyway, i was on the highway yesterday when it started bucking and bogging, and then completely stalled out.

After trying to crank it a couple of times, all of a sudden all of my electrical stuff is completely dead. I tested the battery and it's good. I put jumper cables on it, and still nothing.

when i say it's completely dead, i mean COMPLETELY. like nothing at all. my windows are stuck down, and none of the lights work. even with a jumper cables on it.

so what the fuck happened?

rcs666

Back to top Go down

87 Cressida electrical issue Empty Re: 87 Cressida electrical issue

Post by theghiaisred Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:33 am

check the postive lead that goes from the battery into the bottom of the under hood fuse box. it should go to a block type fuse that is like 60a or 80a. I have seen the eylet brake where it goes to that fuse and it will do just like you are saying stall and not start. If that is good get a test light and a multi-meter to check for voltage drop on your battery cables and down the wiring trail.
theghiaisred
theghiaisred

Back to top Go down

Post by rcs666 Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:44 pm

you talking about the starter relay?

either way, I replaced the battery clamps, and my electrical stuff came back. they looked fine, but i guess they weren't lol. still weird that they decided to magically break without me touching them..... scratch

but it still won't start. the starter is cranking the motor, it just wont fire. I'll check to see if I have spark tomorrow.

rcs666

Back to top Go down

Post by rcs666 Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:24 pm

so I've got spark. how do i check to see if i have fuel on this thing? is there a fuel pump relay/fuse? I'm not hearing my fuel pump prime, is it supposed to? (I'm a nissan guy, don't have much experience with these older toyotas)

rcs666

Back to top Go down

Post by theghiaisred Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 pm

the fuel pump electrical circuit you can check in the trunk there is a connector under an inspection cover. I am sure there is a fuse that controls that circuit in the interior fuse box, and a there is a relay in the under hood box. It should have power with the key on for about 5 seconds and then it will shut off if it doesn't start. You can command the fuel pump on with the under hood diagnostic port by jumping the B+ and FP terminals. The injectors you can check the pulse with a noid light. These old Toyotas have a screwy security system too. Try closing all the doors and the hood and trunk (yes it matters hood and truck CLOSED) and try locking the drivers door with the key, then unlock the trunk with the key, followed by unlocking the drivers door with the key. As far as the Nissan bit, I won't hold that against you welcome to the Dark Side we have cookies.
theghiaisred
theghiaisred

Back to top Go down

Post by rcs666 Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:09 pm

I jumped the terminals on the diagnostic port, and after a little effort she fired up. it kept not wanting to idle, but after reving it for a minute or 2 it seems to be ok now. I drove it around the block a couple of times, and turned it off. and she fired right back up. so could it be the circuit opening relay? maybe the AFM is bad?

btw this isn't my first toyota, I used to have an 89 Supra. It just got smashed before I had to do any work to it.

rcs666

Back to top Go down

Post by theghiaisred Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Does it stay running after you remove the jumper from the Diag port? Or only with it jumpered?
theghiaisred
theghiaisred

Back to top Go down

Post by rcs666 Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Yeah it stayed running after I removed it. And it fired right up today without me having to use the jumper.

rcs666

Back to top Go down

Post by dc1071 Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:26 am

I have found with my '86 (built in to a race car) that when I shut the main power from the safety disconnect, sometimes it will not stay idling at first. however if I leave the power on it is fine, almost like the ecu needs to relearn everything each time you kill power to it.

dc1071

Back to top Go down

Post by theghiaisred Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:07 pm

I don't know about the relearn but it if it is running, then rock it.
theghiaisred
theghiaisred

Back to top Go down

Post by rcs666 Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Yeah but obviously something made it die on me, and its really weird that jumping the fuel pump once fixed it. Its been running fine, drove it to work and back for the last couple days.

Kinda sucks that I just have to wait for it to happen again to figure it out :/

rcs666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down