Cressida Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member - Wheel Bearing question

2 posters

Go down

New member - Wheel Bearing question Empty New member - Wheel Bearing question

Post by 1988 Cressida Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Hello;

I'm a new member. I've got a 1988 Cressida in really good nick. The left rear wheel bearing is starting to hum, so I went to get that repaired. I've got the service manual and I know what parts are needed. The problem is that the Toyota parts are no longer in production. Has anyone else come across this problem? I can't seem to find any aftermarket parts either. I'm not sure what to do in the situation besides reusing the old parts (the manual says the spacer and deflectors are non-reusable...which are the parts out-of-production). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1988 Cressida

Back to top Go down

New member - Wheel Bearing question Empty Re: New member - Wheel Bearing question

Post by theghiaisred Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:56 am

New member - Wheel Bearing question MCB475

Like you said he crush sleeve is now obsolete, seals ans bearings are all you really need. My suggestion is try and get the same brand of bearing that is in it now, reuse the crush sleeve, and set the preload to what ever the spec is, I don't have my manual handy but it will probably be in the 10-15 inch pounds range,again preload not torque, as long as you don't go impact crazy you will be fine, a new nut may be a good idea depending on how bad it gets damaged for removing it, it gets staked so the shoulder needs to be able to be peened. Also you can press on the outer bearing and freeze the hub(or heat the bearing), then use a pipe to drive it on the inner bearing until the is no end play in the shaft at that point you are close.
theghiaisred
theghiaisred

Back to top Go down

New member - Wheel Bearing question Empty Re: New member - Wheel Bearing question

Post by 1988 Cressida Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks very much for the information! That made sense to me. I figured some of the stuff could be reusable. Yes, the pre-load amount is referenced in the manual. I will have a look in there too. Thanks again for the information! Much appreciated.

1988 Cressida

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down