Cressida Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5M-E running issues.

2 posters

Go down

5M-E running issues. Empty 5M-E running issues.

Post by Endev0ur Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 am

I have a recent purchase of a 1982 Cressida. I am having issues with it running. When I first got it, it wouldn't start and I was told the Fuel Pump was bad from the seller. So I replaced the Fuel Pump and drained the Fuel Tank and put some 93 in there. I primed the lines and it started up, first try. Had a rough idle. So before anything else, I pulled the spark plugs and shot some oil down the cylinders and did a oil change, not know how long it had really been sitting. Put in new Spark Plugs in since I had them out. Went back and started it and it ran fine. For a while. Then the idle kept getting worse and it just cut itself off. Then going back and trying to start it, it doesn't want to start back up. Sounds like it's flooding out. Pulled the EFI Relay behind the battery and it will start up and run smooth, then cut back out once all the Fuel in the Cylinders is used up. Plug the EFI relay back in and start it, it starts for a second or two with a rough idle. Pull the relay and start it, runs smooth till it consumes what it had. So it seems to me that it's getting too much Fuel and flooding itself out. Any ideas? Any help?
Endev0ur
Endev0ur

Back to top Go down

5M-E running issues. Empty Re: 5M-E running issues.

Post by dc1071 Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:53 am

What do the plugs look like? If it's flooding the plugs should be still wet. Was the gas bad that was in it?

dc1071

Back to top Go down

Post by Endev0ur Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 am

Not that the gas was bad, it ran on it once I replaced the Fuel Pump. It was a red tint, so drained the tank and put fresh 93 in it just cause of the smell of old gas. Had that heavily varnished smell to it that was giving me major headaches. Like I was at a junk yard. As for the original Plugs I pulled out. The were Autolite Plugs and they were pitch black and wet. I haven't pulled the new NGK's that I put in since I've had to use Save-A-Thread on one of the Cylinders that seemed to have been stripped and Helicoil'd. I'm sad for the previous owner, cause it seems almost all of the Spark Plug holes could use new threads.
Endev0ur
Endev0ur

Back to top Go down

Post by dc1071 Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 pm

sounds like you have a bit of a mess...
if you pull a new plug after youve tried to start it and it's wet you obviously have a flooding condition. since you say the gas was so nasty I wouldn't be surprised if the injectors are restricted.

dc1071

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down