Cressida Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing rod bearings with out pulling engine

4 posters

Go down

Replacing rod bearings with out pulling engine Empty Replacing rod bearings with out pulling engine

Post by davev1955 Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Has anyone replaced rod bearing with the engine still in the car?

davev1955

Back to top Go down

Replacing rod bearings with out pulling engine Empty Re: Replacing rod bearings with out pulling engine

Post by Jim_K Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Not me personally, but I've heard of it being done. But you better have a plan-B if you find damaged crank journals after you pull them out. I mean, why are you replacing them?

Jim_K

Back to top Go down

Replacing rod bearings with out pulling engine Empty Re: Replacing rod bearings with out pulling engine

Post by davev1955 Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Bought this MX83 with 120000 miles and BHG, was a "little ole lady car" very nice, tried to get by on the cheap just doing the head gasket, ran great got about 3000 moree miles one it, till the rod noise, previous owners son had been driving it and by the number of anti freeze jugs in the trunk drove it too long with more antifreeze in the oil pan than oil .
So once again, thought I'd go the cheap and easy route, but after jacking the engine up thers still not enough room to get the pan out, so I'm just pulling the engine and trans, and doing it the right way!
Plus I can detail out the engine compartment! Thanks for your reply!

davev1955

Back to top Go down

Post by davev1955 Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:35 am

Wellll, update..... engine is out, on the engine stand, crank is out, has been turned and polished 010" off rods and mains.
And I guess I'm pulling the head to get the rods, pistons and block checked, doing it right!

Anything special to look out for, or tricks to make it go faster.....
appreciate any and all comments!

davev1955

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxyShazam Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:59 pm

davev1955 wrote:Anything special to look out for, or tricks to make it go faster.....
Yeah ditch the 7m and stick a jz or uz in it. You're welcome.

BoxyShazam

Back to top Go down

Post by davev1955 Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:07 pm

saving those options for the 86 cressi wagon!

davev1955

Back to top Go down

Post by kamesama980 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:40 pm

If you get the deck done, take the timing covers with. If you forget they'll stick up and keep the HG from sealing and you'll never get it flush and leak-free doing them separately.
kamesama980
kamesama980

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down