Cressida Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoke on Start Up

2 posters

Go down

Smoke on Start Up Empty Smoke on Start Up

Post by Jagman212000 Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:04 am

Hello All
I am new to the forum and Cressy ownership. I found a 2 owner 92 with 96K miles. The car runs and drives well except for what i consider a long crank when cold and some smoke. The crank time may be normal (3-4 sec) What I'm concerned about is the smoke. It smells more fuel than oil but its hard to tell. It's actually kind of sporadic since some days it won't smoke all day and other days it will smoke everytime I start it. Has anyone experienced this issue? Also are there any cheap performance mods I should know about? Thanks in Advance!

Jagman212000

Back to top Go down

Smoke on Start Up Empty Re: Smoke on Start Up

Post by Drift Limo Sun May 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Oil smoke on start up is usually valve seals going. They can be replaced with the cylinder head on but I would just have the whole thing redone and change a head gasket while your there. If it is fuel smoke then you probably have bad injectors that are leaking.

Drift Limo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jagman212000 Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks Drift Limo. I'm sure they need to be done. Why do they fail so soon? This is my first Toyota and I bought it because I got a good deal on it. It's super clean with only 96K miles and I am the third owner. It runs out great but the smoke is a little annoying. I may deal with it a while longer and fix it or sell it, I haven't decided. I kinda want another BMW but the reliability of the Toyota is a nice break from the typical temperamental German car. Anyways thanks for the feedback!

Jagman212000

Back to top Go down

Post by Drift Limo Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 pm

I would venture to say that poor maintenance practices is what causes the seals to fail, some cars get the smoke, some don't. The car won't drive any worse, or give you any problems. Worst you will probably see is slight oil consumption and lower fuel economy. If you are decent with a wrench, cylinder heads are easy to come by in a junkyard, or there is always the option of swapping motors altogether. I get you on the German car thing. I used to own a Porsche 944, biggest P.O.S I have ever owned, constantly broken.

Drift Limo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down