Cressida Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much rewiring is actually involved in a 2JZGE swap into a MX73?

4 posters

Go down

How much rewiring is actually involved in a 2JZGE swap into a MX73? Empty How much rewiring is actually involved in a 2JZGE swap into a MX73?

Post by heff Sat May 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Hired a guy to put a set of cleaned injectors into my 86. Big mistake. #1 injector had a steady drip, mechanic wouldn't return my calls after leaving me to reassemble everything after the fuel rail. So I tore it apart and put it back together only to have even more injectors leaking. Car caught on fire almost immediately, barely got it put out. now lots of the main wires around the main fuse box are mighty crispy. pale
This was going to be it as far as anything engine related goes. Now I'm wondering do I take all the time trying to fix all the fried wires or just wait and throw a 2JZGE in. Need to buy another daily driver asap. Was about ready to cry but tears don't come easy at my age. Have countless $$$$s in the car. Would I need to replace all that stuff anyway with a swap?
heff
heff

Back to top Go down

How much rewiring is actually involved in a 2JZGE swap into a MX73? Empty Re: How much rewiring is actually involved in a 2JZGE swap into a MX73?

Post by Graffitipanda Tue May 21, 2013 12:59 am

Sounds like you need to just get a 5m and drop it in with a not so crispy harness.

If you're that desperate for a daily going 2jz isn't gonna come easy.

Goodluck
Graffitipanda
Graffitipanda

http://instagram.com/graffitipanda

Back to top Go down

How much rewiring is actually involved in a 2JZGE swap into a MX73? Empty Re: How much rewiring is actually involved in a 2JZGE swap into a MX73?

Post by heff Thu May 23, 2013 2:14 am

Already have a a 5m in the car. Not desperate just asking if you even use the harness from the ecu to the engine in a jz swap. Bought a 91 4runner for a dd. Will probably just stick with the 5m but an extra 60hp would make the car much more fun to drive although a few g's to spend and a bunch of work might not be much fun. I guess I'll have to research the supra forums since all the old info is lost and know one seems to know here.
heff
heff

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxyShazam Thu May 23, 2013 5:35 pm

You won't use the 5m engine harness at all with a JZ swap. You will use a few of the body harness plugs though. So I guess you just have to hope they aren't melted too.

BoxyShazam

Back to top Go down

Post by heff Thu May 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Thank you. The main fuse box under the hood is a little melted on the outside but it's mainly the efi, ignition and wires to the starter from the battery. With all the other mods I've done to the car it's practically screaming for more power. I'm going to take my time and get it right finally now that I've got another ride to get to work. When I put the current JDM 5MGE in I was renting a car and in a rush so a JZ wasn't an option. Considering a 1UZFE as well but we'll see.
heff
heff

Back to top Go down

Post by forgottenzone Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:12 pm

If you are not familiar with electronics and doing it your self i would use Tweak'd performance they take your harness what ever is left of it. replace anything that was burned. take the harness from your swap motor. put them together and make it all work for your cressi. it will be all plug and play after that. they are making 1 for me which will be for my MX83. using 2JZ with 2JZ ECU unit and AEM V2 warking all together.
Here is their website. Harnesses is all they do. very known place in all forums for harness engine swaps.
Link:
Tweak'd Performance Harnesses
forgottenzone
forgottenzone

Back to top Go down

Post by heff Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

I ended up finding a harness from an 85 and just using that and getting back on the road about 2 weeks ago with the 5MGE in the car. I've seen places that do the plug and play harnesses but they're usually very expensive. Still might be worth it if time is an issue. I don't mind doing wiring as long as you're not tracking down a problem. The 85 harness had one plug that was completely different with 2 wires instead of 5 that I didn't notice until the end but I just traced what was really going on and made it work by splicing into the original plug. The 2JZ swap will have to wait, just happy to be driving the car again.
heff
heff

Back to top Go down

Post by forgottenzone Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:22 am

Great, I hear you on the amount of money they charge for the custom harness.
Hey my dad is electronics engineer, I have been around electronics and wires all my life. but there is just to much involved trying to figure it all out. specially with my 2jzgte vvti setup with auto trans . it will be a combination of old and new harness which will connect to another custom AEM V2 harness which then connects to both oem ECU and AEM ECU. so OEM controls the trans shifting and DBW throttle, and AEM controls VVTI, A/F, Turbos. so yeah it will be a nice mess of wires when its all done.
forgottenzone
forgottenzone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down