Cressida Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5speed swap from celica supra

+2
sietekk
Broken_Goat
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5speed swap from celica supra Empty 5speed swap from celica supra

Post by Broken_Goat Sat May 18, 2013 4:57 am

Sup guys. Ive got an 85 mx73 and a 86 MKII celica supra. The supra is just a parts car Im using for the swap. Ive pulled the engine and trans out of both. (engine in x73 was toast) And now have the supra engine and trans bolted into the cressida. I did need to cut the tunnel for the trans.

Well, running into two main problems.

Problem 1.
Driveshafts. Ive held them up and nothing really fits. The cressida rear shaft is longer than the supras right? So I use that one and then the supra front shaft right? I read somewhere I have to swap out the carrier bearing to the cressidas? Im kinda at a loss here since it doesnt look like anything will fit. Will swapping the diff from the supra help out with the length issues? (Dont know if same size or w/e I do know the supras LSD is an upgrade and I was planning on swapping it in anyway).

Problem 2. Wiring harness on the automatic 5m is crap. Trying to use the wiring harness from the manual 5m is leaving us with quite a few extra plugs. I know Im supposed to have extra since the ECT isnt needed anymore.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

5speed swap from celica supra Empty Re: 5speed swap from celica supra

Post by sietekk Mon May 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Never heard of anyone needing to cut the trans tunnel for a W58. You might have done something incorrectly. You only need to do that with a MKIII Supra Turbo R154 transmission.

Problem 1: You need the front part of a MKIII NA (non-turbo) Supra driveshaft. Remove the Cressida's front driveshaft, and the Supra's should attach to the Cressida's carrier bearing. That's the correct length you need using stock parts. Otherwise, you're looking at a custom length driveshaft. If you get a single piece driveshaft, you will have to unbolt the trans or diff, because it passes through the rear subframe.

Problem 2: Most people seem to not worry about the wiring. It throws a code I believe, but that's not an issue since the auto tranny is in fact missing. The only issue would be sourcing the right speedo gear for your W58 and particular diff ratio. Otherwise, your speedo will only be correct at zero miles per hour.

Hope that helps!

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by sietekk Mon May 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Oh, it just occured to me that the shifter is forward of the correct location with the MKII Supra manual trans. That is probably why you had to cut the tunnel. The MKIII NA Supra has the correct shifter location along with the front section of the driveshaft. If you had to cut the tunnel for any other reason, you probably did do something wrong.

BTW, what manual pedal did you use?

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Tue May 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I havent installed the clutch pedal yet, but Im going to adapt the one from the MKII.

So, MKIII front shaft IS needed. Alrighty. Thanks. I would go one-piece but I dont have $800 to spend. (from what Ive seen, if there are cheaper, like $200 ones out there, Id be happy)

As for the shifter being farther back in the MKIII, the MKII feels great placement wise. I did have to cut the tunnel out a little bit, but its nothing a boot cant cover.

As for the speedo gear, I was thinking about swapping the gauge cluster and speedo cable from the supra. Or does the cressida wiring not have the provisions for the other gauges?

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by sietekk Tue May 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Ya the MKIII is in the right place so no cutting whatsoever is required. I thought you might of meant you had to cut the tunnel to fit the body of the transmission. I wanted to warn you if that was the case, because that definitely meant you screwed up something badly.

As for the speedo gear, I have no idea how to deal with that. The info was on the old site, but that's gone now. I might go to a dealership at some point and talk to the techs with the Toyota software knowledgebase to figure out what is needed. Good luck on that and do post if you figure that out.

I don't know anything beyond the analogue and digital clusters for the X7. I feel like researching for the correct gear is easier than rewiring your dash harness. Plus you need to make sure the new gauge cluster is compatible with the fuel sending unit's signal and the tach signal. I wouldn't attempt something that extreme if there is a simpler solution, even if what it is disappeared with the old site

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by sietekk Tue May 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh and the Cressida harness does not have provisions for other gauges like the Supra's. You'll have to hack the signals the ECU puts out and convert them with some custom electronics. They wouldn't be hard to build, but it's just more research and work. Plus, the 86 Cressida TSRM and 86 Cressida factory wiring diagram book don't really help. I can always scan and email you pages from there if you attempt a gauge cluster swap.

Someday I'll scan the entire 86 Cressida TSRM, factory wiring book, and factory collision repair book to post up on here.

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Wed May 22, 2013 11:37 am

Haha yeah I guess I shoulda been more clear about what I swapped. I literally took the 5m and 5spd out of the MK2 supra and slid it into the cressi as one piece.

As for the speedo gear, the cressidas cable isnt long enough. The back of the cables where they plug into the cluster are still the same, and if the speedo works the way I think it does, it should solve the issue. Since Ive basically swapped the engine, trans and rear diff from the supra, the speedo gear should be right.

I had a feeling the cressi's wiring didnt have provisions for the gauges. Oh well. Ill keep the dash cluster from the supra around in case I decide to get creative. Shouldnt need much though, right? Just the plugs, and the wires to the sending units right?

Having the FSM for the MK2 and the MX73 would make me fell better. Been looking on ebay, but no luck.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by sietekk Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 pm

If you run the right size tires and rims and have the same diff, then there shouldn't be an issue. It's the Cressida's diff gearing that causes the speedometer accuracy issues.

How much longer does the stock cable need to be? I don't think I've heard this issue before, but I want to know if I need a MKII cable. Could you post of pictures of the two?

Faxon Auto Literature is where I got my manuals from. I got the factory repair manual, wiring manual, and collision repair manual for $122.95. Really friendly people to talk to if you need to ask them a question. I couldn't find a complete set for anywhere else, and their prices are obviously kickass. The manuals were also in like-new condition.

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/ and there's manuals for 86 Supras.

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Wed May 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Im headed to work right now but ill get you those measurements when I get home. Ill also toss in some pictures.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by primeredsol Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm

You can use the speedo cable from a MKIII supra. Thats what i used when i did my swap. As other mentioned above you also will need to use the MKIII drive shaft. I forget whether or not i used the whole drive shaft or just one half.

primeredsol

Back to top Go down

Post by sietekk Wed May 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Does it register the correct speed?

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by primeredsol Sat May 25, 2013 2:39 pm

mine does not. but i also swapped my differential. I have a MKIII tranny, drive shaft and speedo cable, but i have a stock Cressida LSD. I've never put the effort into correcting the speedometer. Its just always 10mph over.

primeredsol

Back to top Go down

Post by sietekk Sun May 26, 2013 12:49 pm

I fit the AE86 clutch pedal in my car yesterday, and it appears to be a DIRECT BOLT IN pedal. I only had one free hole open in the thick rubber matting covering the inside of the firewall under the dashboard, so the top bolt hole didn't quite line up with the mount point on the dashboard support rail. If it was sitting correctly, you might just have to drill a whole through the spot weld next to the top mounting hole on the pedal assembly. The important thing is that it sits really nice next to automatic pedal, so one may not even bother switching the brake pedal too.

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by sietekk Sun May 26, 2013 3:04 pm

primeredsol, did you use all three sections of the MKIII speedo cable? I can only find what looks to be the 14" section that attaches to the transmission. Do you have part numbers by chance?

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by primeredsol Sun May 26, 2013 11:10 pm

i got all of the parts from the junkyard and i used everything, i removed my cluster and connected it to the back as well. and the cable i used was waaay longer than 14" obviously.

primeredsol

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Sorry about the lack of pictures and measurements. Got super sidetracked by my daily needing new u-joints.

Good news is I did find an MKIII driveshaft and used teh front of that and the cressis rear and it fits.

Right now Im trying to adapt the seats from the celica-supra to the cressida. The seats in the supra are 17 on center (bolt hole to bolt hole) and the cressidas are 18 on center. Thats side to side. Front to back they are off about an inch as well.

The cressida seats seam to be built better but I still want the supra seats.

As for the speedometer cable, the one off the MKII does fit. Since Ill be using the diff from the MKII as well, it should be fine. Car still isnt running so I cant tell if its off or not, but we'll find out.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxyShazam Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Good to know about those seats. I will hopefully soon be fitting some mkIII seats to my x7. I have a welder though so I'm not too worried about extending brackets and what not

BoxyShazam

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Oh Im not worried either. I too have a welder. One of those tombstone lincoln stick jobs. They're going in there whether they want to or not.

The dryer is being used today so now Im working on the wiring harness. Replacing the injector plugs because the cressidas were dryrotted and crumbled to pieces.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:55 pm

ALright, Ive got everything back together and tried to fire up the motor. Its cranks, and acts like it wants to start and back fires out the intake real bad. I know timing is needing to be checked. Anything else? I read bad grounds could cause this? Is there an actual diagram for the wiring of the injectors? I mighta got some backwards. (had to replace the plugs with non broken ones). Ill also be swapping in the old distributor from the cressida just in case the distributor from the supra was bad.

Im open to Ideas and really need this running on her own power for sunday.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by RayRay Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:42 pm

take a look at this, might be able to help. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/default.aspx

RayRay

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 am

That wasnt as helpfull as I thought it was gonna be. Lots of good reading though. Thanks!

I did get it running though! Distributor was 180 out.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:49 pm

So I got it running and driving and I no longer have brake lights. No power to the fuse, and no power to the switch at the pedal. What could be the problem?

I also dont have interior dome or dash lights.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:44 pm

And the headlights arent coming on 100% of the time now. Have to wiggle the stalk to get em to come on.

Does anyone have an Idea?

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by sietekk Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:18 pm

You're going to have to get a multimeter and start chasing wires. At least with the headlights, you have a solid place to start: the stalk. You can also purchase the year specific (1985 right?) wiring diagram manual at Faxon Auto Literature. They have great prices on Cressida manuals.

Here's a link, but I'm not sure if it is session specific: http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Search.aspx?c=84524

sietekk

Back to top Go down

Post by Broken_Goat Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks for the link to the manuals. I was hoping to get one on ebay, but the guy rejected my offer AND pulled the ad. Well, Ill get to it with the meter and see what I find.

Broken_Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next